Thursday, September 2, 2010

Crochet Lace Mask

The below pattern is my original. Please let me know if there are any errors. Feel free to use it for charity, personal, and theatrical use. Please do not sell for profit.

Yarn: 2-ply lace weight
Hook: 1.5mm
Additional supplies:  
about 12” of 20 gauge wire
pair of needle nose pliers
wire cutters
Needle and matching thread
1” wide ribbon, approximately 2 yards
Small swatch of matching fabric, ribbon, or swatch of crochet made with your yarn.

Abreviations (US):  Sl st = slip stitch; Ch = chain; Sc = single crochet; Dc = double crochet
Trc =  triple crochet

Begin by cutting the length of wire in half. Take each half of the wire and fold in over on itself to make a loop. Twist the loop shut to make an oval approximately 1”x 2”. The twisted end will be the inside corner of the eye of the mask.

Each of the eyes is crocheted separately, however the pattern is the same for both.

Eye Pattern:

Round 1: Sc loosely around the wire, beginning at the inside corner (twisted section) and working around. This took me 65 sc, but depending on your stitch size, you may have to add more to make sure that the wire is completely hidden. Sl st in 1st sc to join.

Round 2: Ch2. 1dc in each sc for 27 st. *2dc in the next sc, then 1dc in the following sc* Repeat * to * 4 more times. Then finish the round with 1 dc in each sc until you are back at the twist. Ch 2 and sl st in the 2nd ch of the ch2 that you started with to join.

Round 3: Ch3. 1 trc in each dc of the previous round for 28 st. *2 trc in next st, then 1 trc in each of the following 2 st* Repeat * to * 2 more times. Then 1 trc in each dc of the previous round until you are back at the twist. 6 dc in the ch2 space made during the previous round. Sl st into 3rd ch of the ch3 that began the round.

Round 4: Ch1. *Skip 2 st, trc in next st, ch3, sc into the trc you just made. (trc, ch3, sc into the trc) in each of the next 5 st. skip 2 st, sc into next st.* From * to * should create an arch with picots on the edge. Repeat from * to * 2 additional times.
2 Completed Eye Pieces
Skip 2 st, trc into next st, ch3, sc into the trc you just made. Now. (trc, ch3, sc into the trc) into the SAME stitch again. In each of the next two st, (trc, ch3, sc into the trc) twice. Skip 2 st and sc into the next st. This creates the same arch, but over 3 st instead of 6.
Repeat the original arch, from * to * above, 3 more times. The last arch will be partly worked over the twist, in the dc st you made in the last round. end with a sl st into the ch 1 that began the round, and fasten off your yarn. 

Once you have made both eyes, use the excess wire to bind the two eye pieces together. Leave enough space for the bridge of your nose. Depending upon the size of your face, this may mean that the lace of the two eyes is touching, overlapping, or even separated completely leaving exposed wire. If they overlap and you are happy with that, go ahead and stitch them down. Otherwise, you can crochet the center medallion pattern below and sew that over the wire at the bridge of the nose.

Center Medallion (not pictured):
Ch10, sl st in 1st ch to join
Round 1: Ch3, 27 dc into loop
Round 2: Ch4, (dc then ch1) into each dc of the previous round
Round 3: Ch1, into each ch 1 space of the previous round (sl st, ch3, sc)


Outside Edge:

Round 1: Working from the front of the mask, attach your yarn to the third picot from the center top of the nose bridge on the right (the eye that will be over your left eye when its on.)
Ch 12, then sl st into the 3rd picot on the other side of the nose. *Ch 1 and sl st into the next picot. Ch 12 again, and skip the next 4 picots, then sl st into the 5th.* Repeat from * to * Instead of ch1 to get to the next picot, ch 16, then sl st into the next picot. Ch 12, skip the next 4 picots, sl st into the 5th. Again, you with ch 16 and sl st into the next picot. These loops will hold the ribbon when the mask is finished. Repeat from * to * 3 more times until you have made it around back to the center (between the eyes) at the bottom. Ch 1 and then sl st to the other eye, then resume your * to * pattern. After 3 repetitions, ch16 instead of ch 1 between the picots that separate your ch 12 spaces (as you did on the other side). Ch 12, skip 4 picots, sl st in the next. Ch 16 again, sl st in the next picot. Then resume your * to * pattern.
Sl st into the picot that started the round.
(You may have to fudge it a little bit during this round, since everyone's overlap at the nose will be different. If you don't think its going to work out, try a ch 11 skipping only 3 picots)

Round 2: In each ch12 space (3sc, ch3) 5times, then 3sc. Sl st in each ch1 space to move to the next ch 12 space. In the ch 16 spaces that you made as ribbon loops, sc22 times. When you reach the point where you started, fasten off.


Weave in all of your ends, then sew or glue a small scrap of fabric, ribbon, or yarnwork on the inside of the mask to cover any exposed wire near the bridge of the nose.

Cut your 2 yards of ribbon into 4 equal lengths. Each should be sewn onto one of the ch16 loops. Press and starch your lace mask, and try it on! The wire is bendable, so it can be custom molded to fit the wearer.

29 comments:

  1. Niiiiiiiiiiice! I've seen this type of mask before, and there was much drooling over them. Look for me to ask you to make me one when I finally get around to getting married!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, this is cool! Maybe I'll make this for my Prom. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exquisite! I've already got the perfect lace weight this beauty. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter had a masquerade themed Sweet 16 to go to last year and I made her an embellished paper mask with feathers and glitter and rhinestones, it was so beautiful that someone stole it from the party. Her Winter Formal is coming up next month with the theme Masquerade so I think I may have to try my hand at your mask as she thinks it is "sooo cooool!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is throwing me and him a 30th b-day party, masquerade style, in less than 2 days. I JUST finished the first eye. I have been working on it on and off all day. The pattern works well, is not hard, but it IS tedious. I hate treble crochets. I have to remember to yarn over in the opposite direction I normaly would if I want to actually get the hook through the loops. That being said it is absolutely gorgeous. Even before the arch row I was in love.
    I'm using some kind of crochet thread I got in a big box of yarn from someone. It looks lovely in white. I may not starch it since the curl it is taking on is actually quite interesting. Anyway thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne is right, this is absolutely exquisite... As lovely as it looks, it is much to difficult for me. I'm somewhere around the beginning intermediate level, and I've never worked with the thin yarn like this before. I will keep the pattern, and maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing. I will try it with crochet thread and embellishments. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To respond to questions asked frequently on Ravelry, STARCH is essential to this (and any) lace project. I starched and ironed this piece before bending it to fit my face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um yeah, I see this mask in my future on Oct. 31. I don't know what I'm going to be, but it'll be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i see this mask in several futures... this is so lovely! halloween is just one use for it! :D *know and love several people that are goth... into cosplay, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I shared a link to this page on my blog this morning at mooglyblog.com if you want to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. I am a tatter and have made one, but I would also like to crochet one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Didn't even notice the piercing, which doesn't bother me at all. Seems inappropriate to comment on that here. The design and finished product is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! My nieces will love this - and Halloween is right around the corner! Thank you very much for sharing! L

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it (welcome to the internet!) but its sad that, after all of my hard work and sharing this pattern, that is what you choose to comment on!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the piercing is beautiful and enhances the entire look! Work it gurl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this pattern! I made one in black, using no. 10 crochet thread and a size 7 steel hook, and it came out beautifully! It goes perfectly with a top hat I made from a free pattern I found courtesy of Red Heart yarn, and I can't wait for Halloween! Thank you so much for sharing this brilliant pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Re: the nose piercing I think it looks great and the mask adds to it! Some people can carry off this look great as this gal does (is it you Andrea) and it WAS very rude to comment negatively as ANONYMOUS did!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Precioso trabajo, muy delicado. Muchas gracias! Maruja desde Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've featured this pattern in Volume 1, Issue 8 of Treblemaking Hookers at www.treblemakinghookers.com.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I I have read comments made by trolls but never while searching for a crochet pattern. I thought that in the Internet crochet world they were only mythical creatures. I really barely even notice the nose ring it's so tiny. Somebody must have had their panties up in a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. BTW, the girl in the picture has beautiful eyes and I'm not 100% sure but I don't think she is wearing lipstick. If she is not, she's also got beautiful lips. oh and of course love eeeexxccuusee the crochet mask. Gonna try to make it for halloween. ..wish me luck because I've been trying to teach myself to crochet, well, off and on for about 2 yrs now. I'm not bad..😉

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I I have read comments made by trolls but never while searching for a crochet pattern. I thought that in the Internet crochet world they were only mythical creatures. I really barely even notice the nose ring it's so tiny. Somebody must have had their panties up in a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I I have read comments made by trolls but never while searching for a crochet pattern. I thought that in the Internet crochet world they were only mythical creatures. I really barely even notice the nose ring it's so tiny. Somebody must have had their panties up in a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  27. BTW, the girl in the picture has beautiful eyes and I'm not 100% sure but I don't think she is wearing lipstick. If she is not, she's also got beautiful lips. oh and of course love the crochet mask. Gonna try to make it for halloween. ..wish me luck because I've been trying to teach myself to crochet, well, off and on for about 2 yrs now. I'm not bad.. 8D

    ReplyDelete
  28. BTW, the girl in the picture has beautiful eyes and I'm not 100% sure but I don't think she is wearing lipstick. If she is not, she's also got beautiful lips. oh and of course love the crochet mask. Gonna try to make it for halloween. ..wish me luck because I've been trying to teach myself to crochet, well, off and on for about 2 yrs now. I'm not bad.. 8D

    ReplyDelete
  29. As one of the leading N95 respirator manufacturers, Honeywell is located in Santa Ana, CA. It is the leading global brand in personal protective equipment. real n95 mask price
    n95 mask without valve online

    ReplyDelete